A backsplash is an important design element in your kitchen. It is the perfect way to add a pop of colour to your cooking space. You may have several questions in your mind: which materials to use, what designs to go for, and so on. Well, we have you covered! Here’s everything you need to about kitchen backsplashes. We have also added the top 10 kitchen backsplash design ideas for 2021. Read on!
What is a Kitchen Backsplash and Why Do You Need One?
A kitchen backsplash covers the wall space between the kitchen countertop and the upper cabinets. Given the ingredients used in cooking, this tiny, yet crucial space has a high chance of getting stained with spills and grease. This could leave unsightly, stubborn marks that won’t go off easily. Hence you need to cover the area with a material that is easy to clean and looks good as well.
The best part? You can design a stylish backsplash with the many exciting materials available. You can choose from various textures and colours to enhance the look of the space.
Benefits of Backsplash
The main benefits of installing a kitchen backsplash are that it:
- Protects the wall area between the countertop and kitchen cabinet.
- Makes for a striking visual element in the modular kitchen, thus enhancing the look of the space.
- Offers resistance to substances that splash on it during cooking.
- Is durable and can be easily cleaned and polished.
How to Choose a Kitchen Backsplash
Choose a material based on its durability, aesthetic appeal, and maintenance needs. Choose the colours and materials keeping in mind the overall look of your kitchen. Make sure it goes well with the cabinets, wall colour, and other accents. Don’t forget to consider the total cost and ease of installation as well.
Ceramic tiles are the most common kitchen backsplash material. But you may wonder what material can you use instead of tiles? Here are the other popular options:
- Instead of plain ceramic tiles, you can use textured and patterned ones. You can arrange them in exciting patterns. You can also place the tiles running up to the ceiling to make the kitchen look bigger.
- Check out tiles in materials such as terracotta tiles, and other handmade options.
- Engineered stone and natural stone, especially marble and granite, are great options. Soapstone, sandstone, and slate are others you could pick from.
- Opt for stainless steel, copper, or other metallic backsplashes for a sleek, modern vibe.
- Glass is an ideal material for small kitchens that don’t enjoy much natural light. You can choose textured, frosted, back-painted or coloured glass blocks or glass tiles.
Top Trends in Kitchen Backsplash Design in 2020
1. Plain ceramic tiles in a single colour or a combination of a few colours in attractive patterns.
2. A marble or granite backsplash looks elegant and luxurious.
3. Glass tile or block backsplash is a great idea as well.4. You can also install a pattern on the wall before you place the glass slab.
5. One of the toughest and most durable options is to use a granite slab.
6. A backsplash with a slab of stone is easy to maintain. It is resistant to damage and gives your kitchen an industrial look.
7. Try a metallic backsplash using materials like copper or gold. Like the ones below can take your kitchen style up a few notches!
8. Keep your backsplash natural with a brick wall. Add a glass slab on top to prevent stains or spills and to make it easy to clean.
9. A combination of materials also works wonders in a kitchen. In the kitchen below, the owner has used a glass-tile combination for a quirky effect.
10. A wooden backsplash is a sleek idea if you make it a point to seal it and maintain it regularly.
11. Tiles in handpicked patterns like Moroccan or Turkish style add a bohemian touch.
Your kitchen needs a backsplash that combines functionality with visual appeal. Need help? HomeLane has vast experience in designing functional and aesthetic kitchens along with stylish backsplashes.